What is Indian Head Massage?
It is a revitalising massage to the head, face, neck, shoulders, upper arms and upper back.
The traditional art of Indian Head Massage is based on the ancient system of medicine known as Ayurveda, which has been practiced in India for thousands of years. The ayurvedic approach to well being is the balance of mind, body and spirit – and in the promotion of positive health, beauty and long life.
Traditionally, Indian Head Massage was originally designed for use on the head only but in recent years it has been westernised to include other parts of the upper body vulnerable to stress. By incorporating these parts the treatment has become a de-stressing programme for the whole body.
It is a truly holistic therapy with positive physiological and psychological benefits.
How can it help me?
Indian head massage can:
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Elevate mood and help relieve emotional stress and repressed feelings
- Relax muscles
- Encourage release of stagnant energy and restore energy flow to the body creating feelings of balance and calm
- Improve blood flow and circulation to head and upper body
- Increase lymph flow aiding elimination of toxins
- Improve circulation and nutrition to the skin and hair
What happens when I come for a treatment?
As this is a holistic treatment, the first time you come I will ask you a few general questions to find out more about you, your lifestyle and health.
The treatment takes place seated upright in a chair. You have the choice of remaining fully clothed or removing your top and wearing a toweling wrap, so that I can reach your shoulders, upper arms and upper back. Oil is recommended for a deeper, smoother massage and to improve hair condition although its use is optional.
My Indian Head Massage treatments typically last for an hour. This includes time for us to create a bespoke blend of aromatherapy oils to enhance the therapeutic properties of your treatment, time for me to focus on any particular areas of tension and time for you to rest after.
How will I feel afterwards?
After Indian Head Massage you can feel deeply relaxed and I always allow you time to rest and have a glass of water before you leave.
Your overall reaction to the treatment may vary depending on your physical and emotional condition. These reactions could include:
- Aching and soreness in the muscles due to the release of toxins
- Tiredness again due to the release of toxins
- Heightened emotional state which often comes once the initial tiredness has subsided
- Feeling of calm
- Feelings of stress, anxiety and depression alleviated
- Improved alertness and clearer thinking
I’d like to know more before I decide if it’s for me...
You are very welcome to give me a call on 01256 381596 or 07950 314636 to ask any questions or voice any concerns you may have. Alternatively you can email me. There is no obligation to book a treatment but I would urge you to give it a try to experience the wonderful benefits for yourself!